Jim -

Make sure your preamp(s) do not have internal electrolytic power filtering caps. If they do, there is a fair chance the caps may hold the preamp on long enough for it to suffer damage. But, I am wondering why you are using preamps at HF at all? Unless the feedlines are extraordinarily long _and_ you are talking 15 or 10 meters. We use a NCC-1 here with the main and "sense" antennas 200 or 300 feet from the shack, on 160, 80, and 40 meters, with no problems. Careful use of the NCC-1's internal adjustable attenuators has solved any gain differential issues so far.

- Jim, KL7CC