Should have clarified: the preamps just match the short high impedence
verticals to 75 ohms. Voltage gain is unity but obviously power gain.

Jim ab3cv

On Jan 24, 2015, at 5:43 PM, Jim Wiley <jwi...@gci.net> wrote:

Jim -

Make sure your preamp(s) do not have internal electrolytic power filtering
caps.  If they do, there is a fair chance the caps may hold the preamp on long
enough for it to suffer damage.   But, I am wondering why you are using preamps
at HF at all?  Unless the feedlines are extraordinarily long and you are
talking 15 or 10 meters.  We use a NCC-1 here with the main and "sense"
antennas 200 or 300 feet from the shack, on 160, 80, and 40 meters, with no
problems.  Careful use of the NCC-1's internal adjustable attenuators has
solved any gain differential issues so far.

- Jim, KL7CC