That would not cause the KAT500 to shut down, though. In the situation you
describe the KPA500 would continue to output power unless the HV supply drops
below 40V. What I am saying is that if the 117V power supply on the KPA500
sags, the amplifier will just keep going, using what it gets. The output will
show a corresponding sag, but no failures should result.

The KPA should use the beefiest power cable you can find. Use of a small cable
will also cause the power to sag, again with the output sagging, but that is
all. A good feel of the power cable will show it to be somewhat warm, which
means you are losing power through I squared losses in the cable. A heavier
cable (like the one supplied) should not show this nearly as much. Again, I
don’t believe this is the problem that W6UX is seeing in the KAT500, though.

- Jack B, W6FB
Elecraft Engineering