Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 20:11:36 -0500
From: Ed K1EP <spam snip>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Weller Soldering Station

I would also second that about Greg. He has a vast knowledge of Weller irons
and is a great person to do business with.

Ed

Thank you for the kind words.
BTW, thanks to Ed's keen observation last year, I discovered that Weller now "swags" the ends of their replacement heaters (e.g. EC234, TC208) made in Mexico (since 2002).

Weller did make a some production, assembly and fabrication changes to comply with the "No Lead" initiatives for production electronic assembly. This was likely one of those changes -- be interesting to see if this prolongs heater life.

What this means is that original BA60 barrel nuts made in the 1960s and 1970s will also require replacing - if you replace the heater. I experienced this situation when restoring a 1967 black bakelite TCP-1 iron (my holiday restoration project) - that had all original parts. Poor sole put the wrong tip into this beautiful station ... welded this homemade copper tip to the heater -- still worked -- but not temperature controlled !!

I need to work with Tom Hammond and Elecraft staff to update the soldering station (and accessories) list.

Greg
eBay is a great source of abused equipment --- looking for foster care!