Percussive resets are well-known for finding a general problem area.
They don't localize it, but it's a start.

Good luck with this.  An encoder board "SOL" problem happened to me
about five years ago, and I followed the same advice I gave you (which
came from someone else).  :}

73,
matt
W6NIA

On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 09:18:10 -0800, you wrote:

>I think you are on to something, Matt.  On a hunch, I performed a
>"percussive reset" as NASA calls it. I lifted the front on the K3
>about an inch and dropped it. The problem went away for now. When it
>comes back, I will do as you suggest.
>
>Many thanks to all who replied.
>
>Bill W6WRT
>

>------------ ORIGINAL MESSAGE ------------(may be snipped)
>
>On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 08:27:01 -0800, you wrote:
>
>>I would suggest it's worth the time to swap the VFO A and VFO B
>>encoder boards.  It could be the encoder itself or its contacts to the
>>front panel board, either of them.
>>
>>If you take this course, you might want to check the encoder board
>>contacts on each of them, and also take a look at the contacts on the
>>front panel board.  There may be some corrosion, dust, etc. on the
>>contacts.
>>
>>73,
>>matt
>>W6NIA

>Message delivered to mzil...@roadrunner.com
Matt Zilmer, W6NIA
--
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will
spend the first four sharpening the axe." -A. Lincoln