My father, W1BML used to repair TVs and radios after his work was
over back in the 50's in PA, he was the go to guy back then to have
electronics repaired (was W8QXF & then W3QXF when the area changed).

I remember going with him on a house call and the unplugged TV was
the problem. He wouldn't charge her & told me on the way home it was
good PR & why that was worth more than the money that house call
would be. He never lacked for business.

73,  Gary  KA1J

> My grandfather (Ex K4GF, SK) was a TV repairman during the tube TV era.
> The most common fault requiring a house call was the housewife not
> plugging the TV back in after she unplugged it to vacuum....
>
> 73, Ross N4RP
>
> On 2/14/2015 12:29 PM, David Christ wrote:
> > This was a standard technique used by TV repairmen back in the days of tube
> > consoles and house calls.  For intermittent problems one waited until the
> > owner left the room then lifted up one side about 6 inches and let it drop.
> >  Usually either fixed the problem or caused a hard fault that could be
> > troubleshot.  Now the owner just buys a new TV.
> >
> > David K0LUM
> >

> > On Feb 14, 2015, at 11:18 AM, Bill Turner <dez...@outlook.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I think you are on to something, Matt.  On a hunch, I performed a
> >> "percussive reset" as NASA calls it. I lifted the front on the K3
> >> about an inch and dropped it. The problem went away for now. When it
> >> comes back, I will do as you suggest.
> >>
> >> Many thanks to all who replied.
> >>
> >> Bill W6WRT
> >>

> >> ------------ ORIGINAL MESSAGE ------------(may be snipped)

> >> This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net
> >> Please help support this email list: http://www.qsl.net/donate.html
> >> Message delivered to radio...@mchsi.com

> > Message delivered to n...@n4rp.com
>

> --
> FCC Section 97.313(a) "At all times, an amateur station must use the minimum
> transmitter power necessary to carry out the desired communications."

> Message delivered to g...@ka1j.com

---