I don't understand. The K3 directly supports dual diversity reception. The beta
makes it possible to enter diversity mode with a normal hold of the SUB button
instead of the previously required long hold.

The LINK function makes the two VFOs tune together, and they can be on the same
frequency. But it isn't needed for diversity and would be clumsy to use for
that purpose for several reasons (extra button pushes to equalize frequencies,
bandwidth, etc.; possible need to change audio mixing setting).

LINK is not the same as diversity, and I have never figured out what it is good
for.

Vic 4X6GP/K2VCO