My experience with LINK is all bad.

If I'm in LINK I most likely don't know what is going on. It gets
turned on in those gray hours in a contest when my really thinking
brain has gone somewhere in the warm Caribbean to take a long nap. All
left manning the rig is a brute beast that functions on rote. If the
solution isn't already a habit, it probably can't think its way out of
a paper bag.

Getting caught with LINK one time had me listening to what my foggy
brain concluded was an attempt to take over my run frequency. In fact
it was the occupant of a frequency about 40 kHz away. I of course
tried to operate through him to make him go away, including losing
some number of weakies I couldn't copy with that racket going on.

It took five or ten minutes to realize that all the racket was in my
right ear and the offending run station was not on my S-meter. Then,
to get me back to diversity, I had to turn SUB off, and do the long
hold on SUB, which I didn't get right the first two times, probably
for the same reason I wound up in LINK the first time. And in the
piddling trying to get diversity back on, I didn't transmit enough and
DID lose the run frequency for real.

At least I didn't send the up 40 fellow a flame email after the
contest like I did one time, when I didn't figure it out until the
next day after I'd had some sleep.

I don't want to take LINK away from anyone who likes or uses it, but
removing the ghastly SUB-LINK-DIVERSITY sequence of old, with two
kinds of HOLD, is a godsend. Thank you Wayne,

Others seem to really diss diversity. And their commentary convinces
me that some have not been doing sound-stage diversity correctly if at
all. Sound-stage diversity DOES require at minimum a separate antenna
on the sub RX, even if on 160 this is listening to your 80 inverted
vee on the sub RX (not all that bad, the first thing I tried). Sound
stage diversity does require phase-locking the two RX. Often listening
diversity on two separately oriented RX antennas will seem to improve
the performance of BOTH receive antennas.

If one's idea of diversity includes the notion that going into
diversity knocks down the main RX level, you really don't have it set
up, and have a pleasant surprise awaiting discovery.

73, Guy K2AV