>I know it's true, but I don't see WHY the receivers need to be
phase-locked.
>After all, the signals are entirely separate until they are combined in
your
>head. There isn't a question of interference/ reinforcement at RF.
>
>Vic 4X6GP/K2VCO

That is correct: the only relevant requirement for Diversity mode is
*frequency* locking between the two separate synthesizers.

The phase locking is an almost-accidental side effect of fully digital
frequency synthesis. When two identical digital synths are given
identical frequency instructions and forced to march in lockstep by a
shared master clock, they will automatically be both frequency-locked
and phase-locked. But as Vic says, that RF phase lock is of no
consequence for Diversity; the only relevant point is the *frequency*
locking.

73 from Ian GM3SEK