Hi Dave,
I use macros to set up my split and remove it when finished. That works very well. I am also familiar with "tap - tap - hold" to set the rig into split mode. However, if I happen to do something unrelated, and then later return to the DX, I may have caused the split to have dropped out. I do not use the special setting under CONFIG to hold that for me. Most of the time I don't want to maintain the split while working a typical two-way contact.

So the problem for me is "How can I be certain that the split is active when I am expecting it?" I know there are three signals on the rig, but if I happen to be concentrating on the P3, or something else, I may not notice that I have lost the split that I had there just moments ago. I often follow the "red line" on the P3 as I search for a clear spot to make my call - - only to find out that the VFO B split wasn't really activated after all. Food for the "frequency cops". Embarrassing for me.

        regards, Doug, VE3VS

On 2/18/2015 11:21 AM, dave wrote:

 > too easy to unknowingly have the rig "drop out" of
 > SPLIT

I'm curious about this, how does the K3 "drop out of SPLIT"?

The only way I know to get into and out of split is to hold the A>B
button. Is there some other front panel way? Is there a firmware bug
that occasionally causes the K3 to forget it is in split? Or some
combination of presses of other buttons?

Holding the A>B button takes a conscious effort. Not something that
happens accidentally.

If it is external software (rig control, logger, etc) doing it, then
that software needs to be fixed. Not an Elecraft problem.

And, FWIW, the SPLIT icon is rather large and is immediately above the
VFO B display.

73 de dave
ab9ca/4