ASCII? That is a character set that is a subset of Unicode, which is now used
on all modern computers. It isn’t something you program with, it simply
represents characters. On the Mac we do not use ASCII coded characters, but
rather Unicode characters, usually coded in UTF-8.

What is it that you are really trying to do? If that is to program the Mac, I
highly recommend a tutorial on Objective-C and Cocoa, along with Aaron
Hillegas’ excellent Mac programming tutorial “Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X”
which is now in its fourth edition. I see that Aaron also has a book on
Objective-C programming, which might be a good place to start. Both are
produced by Big Nerd Ranch over in Atlanta, and are available from Barnes and
Noble, amazon and other booksellers. Yu might also want to take a good look at
programming the Mac in Swift. There are several good books available at the
iBooks store, some free, others cost a bit. You might find Swift a bit easier
than Cocoa to learn and get up to speed.

You can get the Mac tools directly from Apple for free at
http://developer.apple.com. In particular, the Xcode development environment is
what you want. It allows development in many languages for the Mac and iOS
devices. For UI development, you will need to use either Objective-C or Swift

Good luck on you new journey. Programming the Mac is a fun and very enjoyable
exercise, with lots to learn no matter how good you become at it.

73,

Jack B, W6FB