ASCII...

Well, the UTF-8 character set is indeed designed to be backward compatible with
ASCII but it is far more than that -- and even these days many programmers do
have trouble with UTF-8.  Why?  Because UTF-8 is a multi-byte, variable length
character encoding system.  Sure, the backward compatible ASCII codes are
single byte but you can literally encode any character defined by UNICODE via
UTF-8.  Chinese characters defined in UNICODE take more than a single byte to
define so they require the multi-byte features of UTF.8.

Now, I do agree that the programming for radio control is not likely to run
into multi-byte characters but UTF-8 will include them if they are found
elsewhere -- say a text file that has mixed English as other multi-byte
characters.

I agree with the need to download Xcode and learn Objective-C but the new Swift
language might be easier for someone who is just starting out to learn.  I am
not sure which would be easier to learn, Objective-C or Swift but I think
Swift, being more modern and also supporting scripting is easier.

73, phil, K7PEH