Well Don, your question was a SubRx *or* a Panadaptor [P3?]. In the interest of balance ...

I have a moderately vanilla K3 #642, KPA500, KAT500, and P3. I have the stock SSB filter and a 500 Hz CW filter. I do not have a SubRx. There may be some confusion lurking on the list. I have no problem whatsoever running split. I receive on VFO A which I put on the DX and leave alone. I transmit on VFO B, which I tune around in the pile-up using the "Little Knob." I decide where to park VFO B by looking at the P3 waterfall. I may occasionally want to listen to my tx QRG, I do that with one button.

The confusion? You need a SubRx to do some things ... diversity reception is one example. You do *not* need a SubRx to chase DX split, operate in contests, or a variety of other operating habits. I don't know how having one would have any effect on how I operate.

Initially, I bought the P3 as a toy ... last panadaptor I had was a WW2 rack-mounted monster with a 3" round screen perhaps 40 years ago. My wife has a needlepoint hobby, we have an Equal Hobby Allowance policy, and needlepoint is about as expensive as ham radio. My stuff is higher priced, but she buys a LOT more of her stuff.

I have found a myriad of uses for the P3 since then, and now when operating, that's what I look at, not the radio. It is sooo very different to "see" the band rather than hear only the tiny segment where I'm tuned. Unless you have one of the distinct needs for the SubRx, and it is an either/or decision, my recommendation is the P3.

I did buy the DVK for my K3 -- I have never used more than 2 memories and then only in ARRL SS SSB for my CQ and my exchange following the number. If I ever come up with another reason that works for me, I'll let you know, but for now, it is unused.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 50th Running of the Cal QSO Party 3-4 Oct 2015
- www.cqp.org