Hi All,

That modified (cut down) version of the P3 by WA6KBL is quite intriguing. Someone else has suggested that doing this could cause some interference action with the display, which is too bad if it is true. It seems to me that, since the PX3 works fine in a smaller enclosure, why wouldn't the P3 work O.K. as well? Personally, I wish the P3 had less bulk, particularly since it seems excessive and clumsy. I know the P3's dimensions were determined, at least in part, to correlate to the K3's dimensions. However, so much wasted space would be nice to eliminate if possible.

Some time back, a friend of mine was casually asked whether he and his wife did much cooking at home. After a brief pause, my friend's tongue in cheek response was that "We store very valuable documents in our oven!" That's sort of how I felt about my old Orion II, which is (in my view) enormously oversized, and takes up a lot of desk space. There is a lot of empty space inside. Same goes for the P3 I now have. The width and height are fine, which accommodates the display size, but the depth is seemingly excessive, and not by just a little bit. I suppose some would say that the additional room you might gain by having a reduced sized P3 would just be dead space anyway. However, I think a smaller version would add significantly to the portability and handling ease of the unit without any sacrifice in utilization--assuming the interference concerns are unfounded. Even the modified version by WA6KBL doesn't cause things inside to seemingly be cramped.

I've traveled with my K3 several times, but I have never taken the P3 along, and mainly because I thought it was just too much additional bulk. I might feel differently if my P3 was more in line size wise with the WA6KBL version. So, if Elecraft feels they could offer a modified enclosure kit, I, for one, very well might be interested. It looks to me like it might just be a matter of providing shortened top, bottom, and side plates. The back plate could be preserved. Would this be all that expensive or problematic to do???

Dave W7AQK