Hi,
That is definitely NOT the case. I have yet to run into any application that will not on on a 64 bit version of Windows. There are 64 bit COM0COM "signed" versions, VSPE is available in 64 bit and every single Ham radio application I have used works on a 64 bit system. True some DOS stuff might not work, but going 32 bits limits you too much to < 3G of memory and really prevents you from using your system to the fullest. If you do find some software that doesn't run, then you are better off dumping it and moving to more modern technology.
Tom

-----Original Message----- From: Dave B
Sent: Thursday, March 19, 2015 12:02 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Windows Computer for K-line station

Subject: [Elecraft] Windows Computer for K-line station

OK; I give up.  Trying to use a Mac at the station QTH is just too
much trouble - too much of the good stuff doesn't come in the Apple
flavor.  Even the Dell monitor I just bought for the P3 SVGA doesn't
come with drivers for Mac OS, which limits some of the tricks the
monitor can play.  So, advice please - what is the smallest
(physically the smallest)

Whatever the physical machine attributes you go for, from hard won personal
experience, try to get the Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit OS.

32 not 64bit, why? Because the most useful stuff either doesn't run on Win64
(com0com, eterlogic's VSPE etc.)   Or you need to open up security holes to
make it run, like running as the "Administrator" or some other sillyness.

Though a 32 bit OS will only be able to address up to 4G RAM, its a lot less fussy
about much legacy (older but good) Ham software, even some realy old Win 3x
and DOS stuff! (Try that on a 64 bit OS, and youre in a world of pain at best.)

As for the machine itself. I do like the Acer One series of netbooks, Dell do similar. Toshiba are always good to find spares for. But whatever, max out the ammount of RAM it has, to the limit of what the hardware will support. If less
than 4Gig, then youre best with a 32 bit OS anyway, Win64 uses up way too
much RAM just sitting there doing nothing.

Lastly, though I've grown up with Windows in one or another flavor over the
years, when security patches for Win7 are finally dropped, I'll be moving over to
Linux in one form or other in the shack.   There is some seriously good HAM
software out there for 'nix now. The Fldigi suite is just one fine example.

73.

Dave G0WBX.

<<

Message delivered to tom...@videotron.ca