FYI: I just redid my computer system. Went from 5 desktops to 3 & from 3 20" monitors to 1 34" monitor. All the chassis are mounted away from the operating position and I use remote desktop to access them. They run a variety of tasks.

The main is a win8 dell with lots of HP. The other 2 are dell 745 USFF, Ultra Small Form Factor, mounted under shelves/desks. I purchased them on ebay for $25 each, refurbed by dell, with XP loaded in and the disc attached to the top. I found the $99 each dell mounts, again on ebay, for 5 for $50, NIB.

My biggest PITA was the RS-232 serial ports. My world runs on them. All my cards are for full sized desktops so they wouldn't fit. I went to 1 X 4 & 1 X 8 USB to RS-232 convertors. Now I have plenty of real RS-232 ports as well as lots of USB ports.

IMHO, newer & new small form factor are ideal because they can easily be mounted away from the general clutter.

73 de W3AB