Pat,

The KXAT1 is optimized for the lengths shown in the manual, so I am surprised that you are having trouble with them. OTOH, such non-resonant antennas are sensitive as to how they are deployed. If you continue to have trouble on 40 meters, I would suggest a 33 ft. radiator with a 33 ft. radial. That should be close to resonance on 40 meters and provide a sufficiently low feedpoint impedance to the KXAT1.

73,
Don W3FPR