Hi Dan,

No problem. First, please understand that (1) I’m not an EE, and (2) I’m not an
expert with the 4170C. I’ve had it a year or so and am comfortable with most
basic measurements it can do, but this device is capable of a LOT more than I
understand!

OK, I assume that you’ve got a 4170 and have some rudimentary knowledge in how
to use it. The first thing you’ll need to do is to be sure you have a way to
connect bare wire to the AIM. As you know, it has an SO-239 UHF connector on
the front, so that’s a problem. I bought an adapter that is quite similar to
the device on the elecraft web site called a BNC-BP: BNC Male to Stackable
Binding Posts. You will need something similar, but one with a PL-259 / UHF
connector on it, NOT the BNC.

Next, use this adapter to build a special CAL file. You probably are aware that
you need three things for a CAL: an open (that’s easy - nothing connected to
the binding posts), a short (again, easy - short piece of bare wire), and a
resistance. I used a pair of 100 ohm resistors in parallel (for 50 ohms). It
doesn’t have to be 50 ohms, but whatever resistance value you use has to be
entered on the custom cal screen. I suggest naming this cal file and saving it
for future use.

Once you’ve built your custom cal file, you’re almost ready to go. Make up a
length of wire long enough to pass through the ferrite in question - pass it
through only once. More than that really will skew the results. Make this wire
as short as possible, and connect the bare ends to the binding posts.

Here is where you will need to experiment. The Fair Rite pages show the
impedance (Z) at several different frequencies. I currently am measuring a
couple of the square “clamp on” / “snap on” cores. They measure about 1-1/4
inches in length and about 5/8 inch square. They were in a box marked mix 43. I
set my AIM Setup—>Plot Parameters to show me Series Load (Rx) and Phase. I have
my Limits set to 20 and 30 MHz, as I want to see the impedance at 25 MHz, which
is one of the values shown in the Fair Rite tables for Mix 43/44 clamp-ons. You
can set it at whatever you want, but know that the tables only give you a small
handful of frequency values. Anyway, I’ve got my Scales value for Zmag set at
200 in the AIM. When I run a scan on this particular snap-on core and look at
the Zmag it shows at the 25 MHz mark, I get a value of 160.652, which isn’t too
far off of what Fair Rite shows for a core with these dimensions: 161 ohms.

I was pretty sure when I started that this was a mix 43 core, and the
measurements pretty much proved it right. Had I begun with no idea, it would
have taken a tad longer to figure it out. So, as I mentioned, it’ll take some
playing around with the Scales & Limits settings and some careful physical
dimension measurement of the core(s) in question.

Bottom line is - yes this works pretty well. No, I would NOT want to spend my
day doing this for a living - it is a PITA!!

Hope this helps. 73, Jim / W6JHB