With the I/Q output from the KX3 and fldigi software on the Mac why do you even fool with signal-link?

Amy Wilhelm wrote:
Yes, it's another post about that little interface we all love to hate...

I went through archives and didn't find anything that *quite* matched
this, so I wanted to know if anyone's experienced it or has tips.

Aside from the widely reported high noise floor (it *seems* to be
possible to just crank the RX volume to get past that a little) I have
a couple of symptoms that are...strange at best:

1. If I have the KX3 connected to my laptop via the KX3USB cable to
ACC1, and then attach the Signalink to a different USB port, I
immediately experience broadband noise. Changing the IF doesn't seem
to help this, and I seem to be tuning past peaks of noise all across
the band. If I detach the Signalink, most of these symptoms go away (I
think some of the peaks are just out there).

2. The Signalink seems to be radiating a significant amount of QRM -
or the cables connected to it (but not necessarily to the KX3) are.
Because I use an Alexloop, my antenna is always right next to my
laptop, interface, radio, all that fun noisy stuff. Conveniently
magloops have this great null directly perpendicular, so I've worked
out that turning my antenna perpendicular to the Signalink - not
necessarily my laptop or radio - reduces the noise floor significantly
(both wideband noise and weird little blips every 150 Hz or so). I'm
not actually sure at the moment whether I've checked if unplugging my
Signalink makes a big difference, but evidence would suggest I should
try that.

This is all with the KX3 operating off of a gel cell (so no QRM
there), the Signalink with the official KX3 snap-in jumper board and
cables, a Macbook Air running from its internal battery, an Alexloop,
and the included KX3USB cable.

Any help would be much appreciated - I've seen the page suggesting
some mods to the Signalink and I'm more than willing to do those if
those would help with the symptoms I've been seeing here, but wanted
to check if anyone thought that was reasonable (and that my diagnosis
is) first.

73
Amy Wilhelm
WN5FIZ