From: "Amy Wilhelm" <netcrushe...@gmail.com>
To: "elecraft" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2015 9:36:32 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KX3 + SignaLink USB noise problems

Having performed further science, here’s what I’ve got:

1. When the Signalink is connected to my laptop but not the KX3, nothing
special.
2. When the Signalink is connected to my KX3 (mic jack so I could monitor the
receive audio), broadband noise.
2a. in this instance, noise is quieted by placing my hand on or near the
Signalink.
3. When the Signalink is connected to my laptop but not the KX3 *and* the
KX3USB is connected to my KX3, broadband noise.
3a. in this instance, noise is louder when I put my hand on or near the
Signalink.
4. When the Signalink is connected to my laptop and the KX3 and the KX3USB
cable is connected to my KX3, a very small amount of (equally broadband) noise.

This seems distinctly ungood if a little messing with capacitance causes that.

All of these seem to be radiated either by the Signalink itself or by a cable
connected to it - ‘course, that could include the USB cables and the laptop as
well. Whenever I turned the null on my antenna towards their general direction,
the noise got quieter (but was still strong enough to be bothersome).

Gonna try those mods as soon as my order from Mouser gets here. Crossing my
fingers it’s by Field Day.

73
Amy
K3ISI