Well I finally got the PLL reference oscillator to oscillate consistently.

I removed the crystal and found a tiny little sliver of metal shorting one of the pins to the case. I don't think it was solder as it wouldn't melt but I was able to pick it off with tweezers. I also re-seated D18, it was sticking up just a little and might have been shorting against the hardware that holds the 'foot' to the case bottom.

After that, I was able to complete the Alignment & Test #2. Tomorrow I'll start on part 3 of the build.

I did find one other thing that doesn't seem quite right. I'm having some trouble with the AGC circuit, and adjusting R1 on the control board. It says to adjust R1 to see about 3.9 volts on pin 5 of U2, but I can't get any more than 3.7 volts. Turning R1 through its full range, I go up to 3.7 with about 75% rotation, then the last 25% it just stays at 3.7 volts. I don't know if this could be a problem later. I'm reading 7.8 volts on the 8v line so it might just be that the 8v is a bit low.

Thanks again for all the help everyone!

73 de Stephanie
va3uxb