Stephanie,

Congraulations on finding the source of your PLL problem - those
intermittents can be quite nasty to find.

It is likely that your low 8 volt regulator is causing your lower AGC
Threshold.  Actually I would recommend not worrying about it at this stage -
but just make a note of it.  Later, you may want to optimize the AGC
Threshold so there is little or no difference in the receiver gain between
AGC on and AGC off (with no antenna connected) - and that condition will
assure you that the AGC is not reducing the receiver gain when there is no
signal present.  The optimum setting in my experience is between 3.65 and
3.8 volts, but it does vary from K2 to K2.  The actual voltage on the 8v
line will make a significant difference on the voltage available at the AGC
Threshold measurement point.

BTW - with the 8 volt regulator at 7.8 volts - that is only 2.5% less then
the nominal voltage, so the regulator itself is operating within its spec
even though that voltage is a bit lower than usual.

73,
Don W3FPR