Thanks Don:

I'm going to insert a couple brief comments, below:
------------------------
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 21:54:09 -0400
From: Don Wilhelm <w3...@embarqmail.com>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3 KBPF3 mod for LF questions capacitor size ?

I can vouch for what Ed has said.  Much of the problem is with the fear
of small parts.  If you have 'eye problems', a magnifying headband can
be a great help.
-------------------------
I use a 8-inch round magnifier lamp (new one has LED bulbs). Finding I have to use it most of the time now that my eyesight is deteriorating (mac degen); so how many more years I can do this is ??
-------------------------
Tweezers are a great tool, but be cautious with their use.  Too much
grip on the part can send it flying to parts unknown where it becomes
vacuum cleaner food.  A touch just light enough to secure the part is
what you want.  I prefer straight tweezers while others prefer the
angled type - it all depends on how you hold them to determine which is
best for you.  If you naturally put the main body of the tweezers in
your palm, then the angled ones will work best for you.  I leave the
main body 'sticking up in the air', so straight tweezers work best for me.
-------------------------
Mine were given to me by a jewler-ham; 4-inch long with slight tips angled. I hold mine in left hand like a pencil. I am right-handed so it holds the solder iron (HAKKO FX951).
------------------------

The prior advice about tinning (putting a small pool of solder) on one
end of the existing capacitor is correct.  Heat that solder while
sliding the added capacitor atop the existing one - when it 'sticks', go
solder the other end, and then come back and dress up the soldering on
the first end.

I don't know about the calming effects of Whisky or tobacco for
"mellowing", but if you have some technique for calming "the shakies",
use it.
---------------------------
That was said as humor. Best solder sober! I do most work in morning before much coffee. I limit work to about 4-hours in a session. If building a sm kit, installing some parts is easier before others - experience helps.
---------------------------

Age is doing its thing on me, and I am beginning to feel the effects of
'tremors'.  I find I need to support the heels of my hands on the board
or the bench surface to counter that problem.  Despite that, I am able
to solder SMD components as small as 0603, and I am fortunate that my
eyes allow me to do that part without magnification - I then inspect the
work with magnification afterwards and make corrections as needed.  Use
magnification at the start if you are not so fortunate.   If you need
"Microscope" enlargement, then a webcam on your computer may be the
answer to your problem - that is a 'cheap hams microscope'.

In other words, with these hints, give it a try.  I wish you success.

73,
Don W3FPR

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com