Jeremy,

You must remove the ribbon cable to the KPA100 to remove it from the path - I suggest physically removing it from the EC2 enclosure just to be safe. The fact that you had the KPA100 partly in the path during your tests could create invalid observations.
Use a dummy load for testing rather than an antenna.

If you are getting funny SWR LED indications, the first suspect is D1 and D2 in the KAT100. Those are 1N5711 diodes, and if you have some in your parts supply, I would just replace them. I know it is a 'bear' to get to the solder side of the board when mounted in the EC2 enclosure, so see if there is enough lead length above the board to break the diodes and solder new ones in their place.

You would get a better picture of the operation of the KAT100 wattmeter if you remove the KAT2 (just unplug it from the KIO2 AUX board). Then connect the KAT100 control cable and connect the K2 lower panel BNC to the KAT100 RF in. The KAT100 will then respond like the KAT2 normally does and in ATU CALP or CALS will show you the wattmeter readings - connect ANT1 to a dummy load for that test. It is advisable to connect an inline wattmeter between the KAT100 and the dummy load. If the internal wattmeter in the KAT100 is not functioning properly you will be able to calibrate it.

73,
Don W3FPR