-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:        Re: Elecraft Digest, Vol 135, Issue 22
Date:   Mon, 20 Jul 2015 07:47:56 -0600
From:   ad0es <ad...@ad0es.net>
To:     elecraft@mailman.qth.net

http://www.lantronix.com/device-networking/embedded-device-servers/xport.html

On 07/19/2015 08:51 PM, elecraft-requ...@mailman.qth.net wrote:
Paul; What is your proposal for the host-side interface? Pretty much
all host programs these days use a serial interface. We usually use
this through a USB-Serial adapter or through built-in serial ports,
which are rapidly disappearing. To make this viable we would need
drivers for all major platforms that implement a serial port driver
interface to ethernet. Or, the host programs will need to be modified.
There is a lot of work needed to make this suggestion viable, both on
the host and radio sides. This is the fact same reason we still use
serial interfaces for our rigs instead of true USB interface. Put
forth a good proposal and let it be considered. Without that work
(whoever does it), ethernet hardware isn?t very useful. - Jack, W6FB
p.s., no, this isn?t a flame, but a challenge. Let?s get the whole
thing viable, then we will take a good look at implementing it on all
sides.