Has anyone else noticed the dramatic increase in atmospheric noise lately? On 20M, 30M, and 40M especially, I see a wide-band noise source wandering back and forth across the bands. At times it almost looks like a sine wave on the waterfall display. The noise will vary from an S3 up to a 20/S9. It is especially troublesome on the frequencies I use most, namely, 10.1389, 14.045, 14.070, 7045, and 7070. With the antenna disconnected, the noise drops to S1 or less.

I use 3 different antennas, a Force-12 15 ft vertical about 50 feet from the house, a homebrew 25 ft flagpole vertical about 30 feet away and an inverted vee for 40M on the tower adjacent to the house fed with 450-ohm ladderline to a 4:1 balun at 50 feet. All three exhibit the same patterns and are separated by at least 50 feet from each other.

I am using the Rocky utility connected to the I/Q output of my KX3 to a 48KHz USB sound card input to the laptop computer.

--  W7HD     KX3#6966
Licensed continuously since 1967
Now retired!
Tucson, AZ