Hello W7HD,

I often see a noisy wave go across my P3 (with K3); however, I've never seen it oscillator slowly but I'll look more closely. The source of this noise is not in my house.....but could be a neighbor's.

You noted that your noise level drops to S1 when that source is not there? When I see a steady but slowly moving "hump" on the P3 display my noise floor remains about the same but at S2.5 or so on 20 meters during the day. I'm two blocks from a shopping center, population of Lawrence
is 100,000.

I've been able to drop that noise floor, thus increasing S/N by nearly 3 S units, using a 20-meter beverage antenna (one wavelength due to short back yard) and attaching it to the AUX BNC input of my K3 for diversity reception. To that I've started using the K3's built in APF filter during CW op to improve listening too. If you'd like a copy of my Power Point presentation on this setup (given to my local club), I'd
be happy to email it back to you.

Phil, W0XI, Lawrence, KS.
aldenmcduffie (at) sunflower.com

---