Hi folks,

    As I save up for my radio I'm doing a lot of research and educational
reading about radios. This morning the lightbulb came on as to WHY the K3S
is the best choice. You see, I used to run my own computer company and OEM
my own computers. One of the largest frustrations for customers was having a
new computer which is outdated in 6-12 months. Features or technologies come
out that would force you to purchase an entirely new computer to get those
features/technologies if you wanted/needed them.

Enter the Elecraft K3 Platform. So not only are we able to buy some of the
best technology available at the time; we are able to update over time as
technology and features as they develop. For me that's huge. I consider the
Kenwood TS-850s I had during my first go around in the hobby. Today, it
would be considered a good radio but lacking because of the design and
unavailable technologies (DSP hello??).

I do wish I could obtain my K3S at lower cost but I understand supply vs
demand and prices are always set at the highest level the market will bear.
The prices reflect a high demand which I would expect to continue.

Why buy built in obsolescence when you can buy open upgradability?

You could try to argue that the price is too high. That you can almost buy
two radios with similar specs for the cost of one base model K3*. Maybe you
can, however, What happens to the value of that radio when new technology
comes out? Yep, you guessed it, the manufacturer comes out with a new model
and the value of your current model drops like a hot rock.

Now let's look at the K* models. The previous version (the K3) is STILL
holding value as far as I can see based on the sales postings. I'm not sure
what they were new but from what I've seen they are $2000 used with NO
WARRANTY, mostly upgradable to the current model (as far as I can tell the
things that can't be updated are minor), and are STILL ranked high on the
list of testing specs being compared to current new models from other manf.

In conclusion. Why not buy a radio that can grow with you and change as the
technology or your needs change?

I don't work for Elecraft or any of it's affiliates. This is just my
ramblings based on what I have experienced and what I see.

I'm still saving up lint and bits of colored paper to purchase my new K3S at
the Shelby NC Hamfest at the end of this month. It's going to be a terribly
close race and I'll be getting the barebones model.

.. es 73

Jer

AE4PB