Bob makes a good point. Not knowing the specific facts surrounding the Orion II repair required, I believe it improper to comment or draw any conclusion on the topic from any perspective.

Although as an owner and user of an Orion II, Omni VII, Eagle and Argonaut VI and one that has repaired lots of Tentec, ICOM, Kenwood and Yaesu products in years past, I seriously doubt that the repair, to any notable extent, of an Elecraft product today would be much if any different in terms of expense. Some years back I assembled a K3/10 and a K3/100 for others. I do have a clue as to what's inside the box. The parts and boards aren't inexpensive and the labor is increasing in costs all the time. We have a saying locally which I view applies; "if one can't run and keep up with the big dogs, then they best stay under the porch". Just like buying a boat, if one has to inquire as to how much fuel it consumes, it is then reasonably clear they don't have adequate funds to make the purchase.

I now have an Elecraft K3S on order and waiting and looking forward to its arrival.

73 Bob, K4TAX