Paul,
The KXPD1 is a bit pricier than the Whiterook, but the ATU and the paddle go together to make a rig that really does work with nothing else, just a couple of short wires. I started out without either, but realized that Elecraft was right, and making it self-contained is a big deal.

The good news is that you can add one later!

Another good idea from Wayne N6KR is the waist pack. Mine is quite full (http://wa5znu.org/log/2005/03/kx1-bag.html) and the KXPD1 fits nicely.

73,
Leigh / WA5ZNU

Paul Huff wrote:
Hello everybody,

I would be very interested in hearing your opinions about the KXPD1 Plug-in
Keyer Paddle for the KX1.  ... I usually hold [whiterook] in my lap at about a
45
degree angle with my left hand and work it with my right.