I'm sure that LiFePO4 is by far the best choice for ham gear and weight. I ran a 2.4 Ah 4S1P on my K2 on receive with a recording voltmeter knowing that the K2 would shut down before the battery was over-discharged. Fully charged, it started at 14.2 V, which dropped to 13.8 V very quickly ... ~20 min. Thereafter, the voltage remained stable, declining very slowly and linearly until it reached about 12.1 V, at which point it took on the glide angle of a brick and the K2 shut down. This sequence took about 10 hours. K2 receive drain was just over 200 mA ... I don't have many add-ons in it.

For my second test, I repeated the above watching for when the voltage reached 12.4 V. At this point, I began to transmit [CW] into a dummy load at 5 watts output. The battery maintained a useable voltage until it reached the sharp "knee" and the K2 died. IOW, because of the flat discharge curve I could still get usable energy from it [to transmit] even though it was nearly depleted.

I have a 5 Ah SLAB, and I conducted the same two tests. It took longer on the RX-only test of course, but nowhere near twice as long as the LiFePO4. The TX test, with the voltage at 11.9, shut down the K2 when I tapped the paddle once.

I conclude that I could get nearly as much total usable energy at usable voltages from the 2.4 Ah 4S1P as from the 5 Ah SLAB. The SLAB may have twice the "rated" energy capacity as the LiFePO4, but its internal resistance is significantly higher. When the voltage drop through that resistance reduces the voltage to an unusable value, the remaining energy might as well be stored on the moon.

There is a safety caveat with extremely low resistance battery chemistry such as LiFePO4 and Li-Poly: With such microscopic internal resistance, they will deliver their entire energy capacity about as fast as the external circuit can accept it. If the external circuit is a dead short, which may be close to the internal resistance, that can be upwards of 20C - 30C, where C is the capacity of the battery. This can be good for a variety of electrical displays, none of which are particularly useful.

My 4S1P is TSA-certified for carry-on luggage. Make sure there is absolutely no way the battery can be shorted and I think you're OK.

Fred K6DGW
--Northern California Contest Club
--CU in the Cal QSO Party
--3-4 Oct 2015