Don Wilhelm <w3...@embarqmail.com> writes:

> The charging scheme for the K2 internal battery is based on using an
> SLA battery.  If the battery is changed to another battery chemistry,
> the charging circuit would have to be modified to match the charging
> requirements of the replacement battery type.
> Since Lithium batteries require very special charging techniques, this
> is a matter that is not to be taken lightly.
> A simple replacement of the K2 SLA battery with another battery
> chemistry would have to be a redesign of the charging mechanism.

Don is of course right about simply putting in a battery with different
chemistry.

But, there are LiFePO4 batteries with integrated controllers
specifically made so that they can be substituted for lead acid in
existing equipment.  Basically it has a charge controller for the
LiFePO4 that operates on the charging voltage for lead acid.  This item
replaces the 7Ah size; I don't know if there's an equivalent item for
the size in the K2.

http://www.amazon.com/A123-Systems-ALM-12V7/dp/B008VVO6LE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_328_12?ie=UTF8&refRID=0R6H1NBH31JQ509VCJ3V

(I have not tried this; I'm still a lead-acid using dinosaur.)

73 de n1dam