Hi All

>From my time working in a Ham repair shop I can say that if a power supply
>dipped by more than 0.25 Volts between RX and 100w TX AT THE TERMINALS ON THE
>CASE OF THE POWER SUPPLY then that power supply wanted either replacement or
>repair.

I have just checked my own power supply for my K3 ( EP-925 or PS-30M badged
linear PSU) and the voltage change (at the terminals on the case of the power
supply) between RX and 100W TX  is less than 70 milli-volts.  This was measured
using a both a Thurlby 1503HA (32000 count) or Fluke 8060A (4.5 digits) meters.

The K3 is fed via 6 feet of 20 Amp cable and shows a voltage change between RX
and 100w TX  (on the K3 display) of no more than 0.6 Volts.  There are no fuses
in this lead but if there were I would allow an extra 0.1 volt per fuse giving
a total of 0.8 volts.  If the k3 showed a difference of 1 volt or more then
that would be cause for immediate investigation.

Put in its simplest form a voltage drop of 1 volt at 20 amps means that 20
watts of power is being wasted. In the example quoted by the original author we
are seeing a drop of 3 volts at 17-.5 Amps a loss of over 50 watts (the
equivalent of 4 Amps at 12.5 Volts)!

Even the cheapest digital meters have a 200 milli-volt range and you can use
this to measure the voltage drop across each junction in the wiring to find
where the fault lies.

I have cured many rigs that use the standard 6 pin connector of various
problems simply by cleaning the power supply lead contacts throughout including
the contacts between spade terminals and fuses and fuse holders and fuses.

As a matter of standard practice all my crimp contact junctions are soldered as
well as being crimped using a good quality tool.

I hope this note provides adequate guidance.

Regards

Malcolm
G0MIC