Bob,

I use my Bird 43 terminated with a dummy load when the power level I want to measure will give a good meter deflection with the slugs I have available.

Like Don, I find the voltage method handy when working with QRP rigs, since they barely deflect the Bird with any slug I have. I use an ME-26D/U Vacuum Tube Voltmeter, the military version of the HP-410B, to measure the RF voltage across an accurate 50 ohm dummy load and do the math.

With my K line gear, I use the meter in my KPA500 on a daily basis and give it an occasional double check with the Bird to make sure both are working as intended.

73,

Bill - NA5DX

A comment here, has anyone thought to use a Bird 43P with a 100 watt HF
slug?  Or maybe a TelePost LP-100a?  Both are equally good regarding
power measurements but only when the load is 50 ohms resistive.

73
Bob, K4TAX
K3S s/n 10,163