It's personal taste, your headphones/speakers, and state of your hearing. My hearing is pretty bad and my hearing aids don't work under headphones [I never use speakers].

CW: Don't boost anything over 0 dB, RX EQ goes away at very narrow DSP BW settings ... don't remember exactly where. You can reduce ranges above and below your pitch level to remove noise, although I've never been very successful at that.

SSB: On advice from Jim, K9YC, I set the profile to approximate the shape of my hearing aids [inverse of my audiogram]. You can get +/- 16 dB, but if you lower the bands where your hearing is good and raise them where it is bad [usually the higher frequencies], you can effectively get about a 30 dB total range. You'll have to run the AF gain higher to compensate for the EQ reductions of course. 30 dB isn't even close to what my hearing aids do, but it does help a lot.

Most importantly, follow Jim's advice and GO SLOWLY! I flailed around changing the settings to no avail and finally gave up and left them flat. When I went back and tried again following his advice, I changed one setting at a time and put operating time in between changes, keeping track of what I was doing in my station notebook. After awhile [multiple days], I could tell I was improving the intelligibility of SSB for my ears.

Fred K6DGW
--Northern California Contest Club
--CU in the Cal QSO Party
--3-4 Oct 2015