      From: Arthur Nienhouse <ka9...@gmail.com>
 To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
 Sent: Friday, September 4, 2015 9:50 AM
 Subject: [Elecraft] KPA500 fan noise

*/I have been so happy with the pair of Noctua fans I put on the back of
my K3 very very quite moves a lot of air,
so I looked for a way to help my KPA500 cool better because Noctua does
not make a fan that will work as a replacement for the fan on the amp.

What I did was get a *helper* fan that sits on top of the amp air inlet
the model number I chose is a
NF-A9x14 PWM92mm I purchased from Amazon it sits on the opening using
the silicone feet that are supplied
The idle temp before ran at 31c
The idle temp helper fan installed 24c ... in the summer when the shack
is a lot warmer these numbers are higher.

I use the 12v out put from the K3 to power the *helper* fan is always
running can't hear it.

This helps in so much as I can get into a cw fix a few minutes longer
before the big fan kicks in and it sounds like a Tomcat after burners
lit before carrier launch.

If some one has tried a pair of Noctua fans stacked that could fit the
back of amp that would be great these are very well developed fans that
are very very quiet moving a lot of air.

K3 fans
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NQMESS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00
KPA500 *helper*
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NQM7V2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00