Rob Locher W7GH wrote on Friday, January 27, 2006 9:56 PM

I've used the Rework Eliminators, and the only trouble I've had with testing and alignment is remembering to plug the Rework Eliminators in first. (You shouldn't leave them in when installing parts, because some are easily damaged if you rest the RF board on the bench upside down.)

To protect parts when working on a PCB I add legs to both sides of the board using hexagonal metal spacers - the type that have a tapped hole at one end and a threaded part at the other end - and using the holes near the edge of the PCB that would normally be used for fastening the PCB to its box or whatever. With the K2's RF board I used four pairs of legs near the PCB's edge and added a fifth pair near the centre of the PCB for extra support. Each pair of legs consists of spacers that connect via a suitable hole in the PCB so that a leg is attached to the top of the PCB, and another to the underside. Using spacers that mate, the legs can be made long enough so that the tallest components on the top or underside of the board are well protected, and the PCB is kept clean. With small boards like the KNB2's PCB I use one pair of legs, one hole, with one of the pair held by a small (but heavy) vise, sometimes by a *Third Hand*.

73,
Geoff.
GM4ESD