What do I think?

I think (repeat: THINK) that many K3 owners want the best performing transceiver, for whatever reason or just want to have the transceiver that's at the top of the chart of 'he whose name must not be mentioned'. I upgraded my K3 -1255 with the SYN3A for future LF-reception and good QRQ-QSK in the present time.

Elecrafts strategy is unknown to me, and I don't care. But to stay in this business, they'll have to stay making the best stuff one can buy. The K3S could well be the interim TRX to keep the cash coming in, funding the development of the new direct digital sampled K4, that will blow every other comparable DSP-rig out of the water. Elecraft has the technology and know how for that.

So make your choice.

73
Arie PA3A