On Tue,9/15/2015 10:36 AM, Wes (N7WS) wrote:
I was responding to the comment that you "thoughtfully" deleted so you could go on with your critique.

I always try to trim what I'm replying to without losing meaning.

I know it's hard for some people to believe, but some of us in the unwashed masses

You're hardly one of the unwashed masses, Wes. :) As it happens, while looking for something else, I just came across your excellent piece in ARRL Antenna Compendium #6 about loss in window line. I'd read and appreciated it years ago, but didn't remember that it was your work.

are actually capable of deciding what is "useful" to us in our own situations.

Of course. I articulated my priorities so that readers might evaluate my concern with the strong signal handling issue and user interface. A more casual operator might place a far lower priority on those factors, and as a result be quite happy with an SDR.

When I take the time to write an explanation of concepts, it's directed at those who are less technical, with the intent of helping them develop a BS filter, or to generally expand their knowledge. Others have done that for me. A few who come to mind are you, Adam, W4TV, K2AV, N0AX, W8JI, and Wayne. Only last week, W8JI took the time to go through this same issue of front end overload in the context of a preamp. Don't recall whether it was on Tower Talk or Topband.

73, Jim K9YC