I can tell you this there is a world of difference between 800w and 2.5k or
even 1.5k for that matter. I am in 0 land and very hard to break the coasts on
a good day at times so a little extra helps break those pile ups.
Fred  N0AZZ

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone--------
Original message --------From: ae...@carolinaheli.com Date: 09/18/2015  1:16 PM
 (GMT-06:00) To: 'Edward R Cole' <kl...@acsalaska.net>,
Elecraft@mailman.qth.net Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Product Suggestion - 500W
Dummy Load
Forgive me in advance if this is a stupid question.

Is there any reason you have to tune at full power? It seems to me that
tuning can be accomplished easily with much lower power. The same thing goes
for the ATU to the antenna. I don't see why we need more than a few MW at
most for the ATU to Antenna link.

Rightly or wrongly when I was in the hobby the first time I ran a TS-850
into an SB-220 to an MFJ roller tuner connected to an antenna switch
feeding: 80m inverted V, 30m/40m rotatable dipoles, and a triband beam.
Whenever I tuned on the inverted V or outer band limits of where my antennas
where tuned I ended up putting labels on the ATU on cap position and a
number/clock combo that represented a roller inductor position for each band
area I cared about. It ended up I rarely had to tune up anything one the air
because I knew where the antenna tuning was using just the Rig and ATU;
tuned the APM into a paintcan MFJ load then switch it inline. I was all set
and never had issues when I needed to kick in the horses.

Now my debate is 500w vs 800w... there's a larger difference between 500w
and 800w than between 800w and 2.5kw signal wise if I understand
correctly...

Jerry Moore
AE4PB, K3S - S.N. 010324