Very true my main HF amps are like that both Alphas an 87A and a 9500. Other
amps like my KPA500, Yaesu 1000 series SS units are fine to tune at low power.
Fred  N0AZZ

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone--------
Original message --------From: Edward R Cole <kl...@acsalaska.net> Date:
09/18/2015  6:14 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: ae...@carolinaheli.com,
Elecraft@mailman.qth.net Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Product Suggestion - 500W
Dummy Load
Jerry,

Certainly its appropriate to tune your antenna tuner at low power.  I
have an "ancient" Drake MN-2000 which is rated for 2000w PEP but I
can tune it with 10w from my K3/10 with my linear off.  Then I turn
on my station control panel which enables PTT to the amp.  Lately
been using my AN-762 140w amp from CCI which I drive to about 120w with 5.6w.
http://www.communication-concepts.com/140-watt/

I set the tuner on the 200w range to measure fwd and ref
power.  Sometimes I will touch up the tuner with the amp online as
the amp and K3 are separated by 8-foot of coax and that appears to
affect tuning (a little).  But that only takes a couple seconds.

Marking down cap settings for favorite frequencies is a good idea.

But tuning a high-power tube amp at greatly lowered output does not
work.  Because the internal impedance of the tube shifts as anode
current rises.  My 8877 is about 5500-ohms at 1400w so you need to
adjust it at working voltage and current.  Input impedance changes
radically from 100w to 1300w.

So, unless you run high-power tube amps, you probably can get away
with tuning the antenna on low power.

Situation changes if you are using a sspa instead of tubes.

73, Ed - KL7UW

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
     "Kits made by KL7UW"