From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Don
Wilhelm
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 12:25 AM
To: ae...@carolinaheli.com; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3S PTT using DTR/DTS issue

Jerry,

Did you have the USB connection to the K3S still connected while you also
connected the USB to Serial adapter into the RJ-45 dongle?

If so, that is a "No-no".  RS-232 (whether from the internal K3 USB to
serial adapter or from an external adapter) is a one to one, point to point
protocol.  It must have *only* one driver on the signal lines.
If you connected both at once, you had two drivers on the signal lines, and
those two drivers would "fight with one another", possibly causing damage.
When one driver is trying to send a mark, the other trying to send a space,
those two signals are of opposite polarity and can cause damage to one
another.

So whether you damaged your external USB to serial adapter or if you damaged
the internal USB to serial adapter in the K3S is indeterminate - damage
could have been done to both.

73,
Don W3FPR

delivered to je...@carolinaheli.com