From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Lyle
Johnson
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 1:35 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K3S PTT using DTR/DTS issue

Hello Jerry!

I am not sure what you mean by "I'm already using the USB for control so
will just use it for PTT. "

You can certainly use USB for audio and RS232 for serial control. If you use
RS232 for serial control, you need to set up the menu for the data rate.
You must also use RS232 for RTS and DTR in that case.

If you set up for USB for serial control,then you must use RTS and DTR over
USB as well.

I have plugged in USB<->RS232 cables between my computer and the KIO3B using
the supplied RJ-45 <-> DE-9 cable and it worked fine.  I have also done this
using USB for audio.

No smoke ever escaped during all of this testing and use.

I cannot diagnose what may have failed or why, but it sounds like the
computer system may have a different power ground return than the radio
system and there may have been current flowing though the RS232/USB
connection as a result.

Hooking a serial port to the supplied serial port cable with the menu
selecting RS232 should cause no problems, and using USB with the menu
selecting USB should cause no problems.

I have had things hooked up and had the menu in the incorrect selection
(RS232 but only USB physically connected, or USB with only RS232 physically
connected) with no physical damage, though of course the rig did not
communicate with the application under those circumstances.

73,

Lyle KK7P

delivered to je...@carolinaheli.com