I had damaged TWO FT-1000D rigs in 2001 from lightening.

Both rigs were disconnected from the antenna.  Both rigs were unplugged
from everything EXCEPT from the ground bus and serial connector to the PC.
The pc was disconnected from everything EXCEPT the modem.

When the lightening hit my 40' Rohn 25 tower twice within a couple of
minutes, the path was  modem card in PC to rig ground.  The tower and house
were properly grounded.

Yaesu confirmed damaged was in the serial interface.

Thank goodness I don't have dial-up internet.  But, watch your other
opportunities for paths to ground.

73 NA1DX

--
Doug Ellmore