Just to reinforce one very key part.

ALC settings are key.  Talk in a normal voice and then ensure that the ALC
is just kicking around 5 bars.  If it moves just once in a while, that is
OK and the proper setting.  ALC stands for automatic level control.  Once
it starts to move, the radio is already starting to adjust (down) the audio
level (sort of like a governor in a car/truck).  In effect, it is reducing
the mic gain dynamically.

>From there, you can play with the other settings.

Do NOT watch your watt meter even though that is what we all want to do.  :)

I hope that helps,

Mike va3mw

p.s.  Also on Elecraft's web page:  http://www.elecraft.com/K3/K3FAQ.htm#SSB
Power control and ALC metering

MIC GAIN SETTING: Adjust MIC gain for an ALC meter peak at around 5 to 7
bars during normal speech (rev. D owner's manual, page 28). This applies
even to TX TEST mode, meaning you can set it off-air. This indication does
not mean that you're "hitting the ALC really hard." When you get to around
5 bars, you'll be "tickling" the DSP's ALC. More on this below.

ALC METERING: The K3's ALC meter is a bar graph, not an analog meter, and
we felt that 5 bars would provide the right granularity at the target ALC
level. The 5th bar of the ALC scale is heavier than the others, serving as
a reminder of the this level.

ALC DESIGN GOAL: The K3 was designed to minimize transmit splatter and
other effects that plague some rigs. To achieve this, we apply all ALC
*before* the crystal filter, and minimize the application of ALC in
general. The levels have been carefully calibrated to that 5-to-7-bar level
mentioned above. The result is that the crystal and DSP filters remove the
types of artifacts that in many other rigs end up as transmitted wideband
noise or clicks. I believe this is why we continue to hear excellent
reports from K3 users regarding their on-the-air SSB signals. (We've also
heard, from some experts in the subject, that the K3's compression is among
the most effective they've ever measured.)