From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <rmcg...@blomand.net>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Sent: 10/25/2015 8:41:06 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT on balun usage

One point I've learned over the years is the fact baluns, regardless of the ratio, are power rated at matched values. i.e. a 1:1 is typically a 50 ohm to 50 ohm while a 4:1 is nominally a 200 ohm to 50 ohm device. And the power rating is mostly at closely matched values. Hence a 4:1 balun is good for feeding a 1/2 wave folded dipole which, at nominal height above ground, is about 200 to 300 ohms where as a 1:1 balun is good for a 1/2 wave dipole at near resonant frequency.

Therefore a 4:1 balun may be good for say 1KW if the Z's are correct. Try to use one on a complex reactive load and the 1KW rating fails rather quickly. For that reason, for any balun I use and choose, it is rated at 5x to 10x the expected power. Thus a 1KW balun is good for about 100 watts. I recently "smoked badly" a 4:1 known brand 5KW balun on 160M with my AM transmitter at legal limit when I connected the 80M folded dipole antenna in error Shouldn't have done that. The transmitter didn't care but lots of smoke came out of the balun box.

73
Bob, K4TAX