Older receivers (like my HRO-5) used a beat frequency oscillator (BFO)
operating on the same frequency as the I.F., offset only by the audio beat
note required.

That meant that a huge local signal (the BFO) was blasting into the I.F.
strip. AGC was derived from the RF signal at the "second detector" (where
the I.F. was demodulated to audio).

So the BFO would cause AGC to crank down the gain to minimum when it sensed
the BFO signal, making the receiver totally deaf. It was essential to turn
the AGC off and ride the RF gain manually with the BFO running.

By the late 50's Hams were tinkering with various ways to keep the AGC
active with the BFO on. Some use "audio" AGC. That is the AGC was derived
from the audio signal, not the I.F. But that made the AGC slow since it took
a certain number of cycles of signal to build up the AGC voltage and that
happened relatively slowly when it was taken by rectifying an audio signal
compared to the I.F. signal.

The most successful solutions (before SDR technology took over) were to
split the I.F. with a second mixer that was far removed from the main I.F.
the second I.F. was used to generate the AGC voltage and, since it was on a
wholly different frequency from the main I.F. the BFO didn't trigger the
AGC. In fact, the Elecraft K2 uses that technique quite successfully.

73, Ron AC7AC