From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Michael
Blake
Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2015 1:06 PM
To: d...@nk7z.net
Cc: Elecraft Reflector
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.

Dave, that is really the key question and very difficult to answer.  For
starters the crimper should have compound leverage and a ratchet that prevents
you from releasing pressure before the crimp is complete.  In addition to that
the crimper should have removable dies so that it can be used for multiple
crimp connectors.

The real catcher is that the die used should be the correct die for the crimp
connector itself.  The connector itself should also match the wire size used.

Sorry that was not a complete answer :)  If the crimper does not have compound
leverage handles and replaceable dies I would avoid it unless it was purchased
for one specific use.

Michael Blake
K9JRI

> On Nov 5, 2015, at 12:51 PM, David Cole <d...@nk7z.net> wrote:
>
> Could someone recommend a good crimper please?  This has been a most
> interesting discussion.
> --
> Thanks and 73's,
> For equipment, and software setups and reviews see:
> www.nk7z.net
>
> For MixW support see;
> For MM-SSTV see:
>

> On Thu, 2015-11-05 at 12:41 -0500, Michael Blake wrote:
>> leroy, thanks for your comments.  I don’t know what to say other than your
>> experiences are vastly different from my personal experiences as well as the
>> experiences of both the telephone industry  (Bell System and Verizon) and
>> the automotive industry.
>>
>> While not intending to be mean spirited the fact that you have experienced
>> this probably means that the failed connections were not really properly
>> crimped.
>>
>> Michael Blake
>> K9JRI
>>

>>> On Nov 5, 2015, at 11:05 AM, lmarion <lmar...@mt.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> I have the proper tools.
>>> Over time the joints have become intermittent.
>>>
>>> The joints I properly crimped and soldered have never become intermittent.
>>> I guess the molecular bond with solder is greater  ; )
>>>
>>> Leroy
>>>
>>> -----Original Message----- From: Robert Harmon
>>> Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2015 8:30 AM
>>> To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net