From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Bob
McGraw - K4TAX
Sent: Thursday, November 5, 2015 11:15 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Soldering crimped connectors is not a good thing.

Actually I view it as "incorrect info".  Most hams in fact do not have a
proper crimping tool.  They cost quite a few dollars.  I have a good idea as
we used them in our manufacturing processes and they average $45
and up......way up!    So we hams use what ever is at hand, be they the
VACO multipurpose tool that sell for $4 to $5.  Or we likely don't have the
proper die for the connector should we have a crimping tool.

I'll take my chances on my crimp and solder process as to opposed to any
crimp method.   After all, there's little to no vibration to ever exist
with my radios and power supplies sitting on the desk.  I don't consider
#3 or #4 to be a concern.

My take is that the  sentence in the last paragraph "It is absolutely
necessary that the proper tool be used for the connection being crimped.  If
you are going to use a crimped connection it is imperative that you have a
tool that matches the connector.  If you do not have the proper tool then DO
NOT use crimped connector." negates your reasons.
So if one can't crimp, what's left? Solder.

73
Bob, K4TAX

delivered to jbol...@outlook.com