Topic has digressed to NR:

Simple question. Is all this feedback on how good or how bad NR works about reception of CW (or does it apply to SSB?). Only time I really need NR is when local noise overwhelms normally strong SSB (e.g. signal is running S8-S9 and noise rises up to S8-S9. I find NR will lower the s-meter to about S6-S7 under those conditions but the audio is distorted by NR such that intelligibility is lowered - ergo no help to copy the signal. I've tried several NR settings with some being better but none helping me understand speech better than running without NR. Often NB works better than NR, but NB also tends to distort audio.

Using NR with normal noise conditions it is never helpful for improving intelligibility (for me). I will admit that I have extreme hearing issues that make ordinary speech a challenge. So any processing that imparts distortion reduces my ability to understand speech.

It seems to me that NR appears to experience IMD with the noise frequencies.

To be fair I have not had success using NR with other brand radios, either. The only NR that works for me is in my expensive Bose airline headset. That is working on different nature of noise (probably).

To be fair I represent 0.2% of the population that NR probably is ineffective. I have it selectable in my hearing aids and often find it is not helpful, either; rejects noise from behind me but clarity of sound is impacted. In a crowded room full of babble of the multitude, I select the TV/music mode which provides wide-frequency response and I turn vol up to max. <helps a little>

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
    "Kits made by KL7UW"
Dubus Mag business: